Friday, June 10, 2011

Honoring our Fallen Troops

The Holy Spirit has placed on my heart to speak compassionately regarding a very tender subject; those of us who have lost a loved one to war or service in the military. Firstly, I want you to know that I understand loss and suffering. This is why I am so humble and value life so much. I am all too aware that this life can easily be taken away. 
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for  a little while and then vanishes. James 4:14
Our fallen soldiers have often left too soon, but their sacrifices will never be forgotten. I can't begin to imagine their courage and strength as they set foot on perilous foreign soils, and laid down their lives in service to their country. I do not intend to make less of the bravery of those soldiers still living and serving, because they too have face unfathomable dangers on behalf of their country. Thank you to all of the soldiers who have fought bravely, putting others ahead of themselves that we might enjoy the freedom to live safely.

For a long time I was tormented on the idea of war and military service. However, God recently brought me understanding through His revelation about military service and war. I didn't understand why our soldiers went off to fight wars and didn't return home. I couldn't comprehend the bloodshed or justify the idea of serving with the chance of never seeing ones family again. Then it occurred to me that there are evil people out there with malicious intentions. There are many who hate you and I simply because we are American. There are many still who will hate us because our faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus tells us that we are blessed because of this, but He is telling us that we will face persecutions.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:11-12

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 2 Timothy 3:12

If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world , it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.  John 15:18-20


We have never known or even met these people, yet if they could they would kill us. Then there are those who just want to kill because they enjoy it. Someone has to take a stand and oppose, subdue, and defeat these evil people. Our world is not safe, but because of our military men and women, we can enjoy the freedoms that we do. I know that our soldiers are not perfect. I know that they have their flaws as any of us do. Still, they are out in the world battling with forces of darkness in order to ensure that we keep those freedoms. Physical war is very symbolic of the great spiritual war being waged constantly. It reminds me that just as wicked men wage war for money, power, and other reasons, spiritual wars are implemented for souls.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12
How noble of our servicemen to sacrifice all that they have for their country. When I say their country I mean the millions of men, women, and children who live across this nation. 
With memorial day having recently passed, I thought of just how blessed we are by the actions of our servicemen. I have never personally served in the military, but that does not mean I am disconnected from the reality of it. I grew up as a military child moving from state to state, city to city, making and losing friends along the way. As a young child I never understood why I had to give up friends so soon after getting to know them. I'd get settled into one location, develop connections with students at school, and then have to pack up and leave. This was so frustrating as a child and spawned resentment in my heart. I didn't realize that my father was serving and doing a great thing for his family. Now as a man I appreciate more than ever the sacrifices that my dad made. 
I would never lie and say that living in a military family is easy. Living in any family can have its challenges, but it is extremely difficult for a family to grasp the idea of having the head of the house gone for months or years while in service to their country. There is a degree of uncertainty while life hangs in a fragile balance. Children are often hurt and confused by the absence of the missing family member. The husband or wife is left to handle all the burdens of family life without their partner and at times stress and loneliness take over. It can be a tremendous adjustment for any family to undergo having a key member pulled away, especially when there is a chance that they could be killed while away. My father has served in the military for nearly as long as I have been alive. He lived and fought through desert storm in Saudi Arabia (1991) and has served for over a year in both Iraq (2008) and Afghanistan (2003). Each time my heart secretly flooded with questions about whether he would return. I had witnessed too many horror stories and seen too many news stories about soldiers being killed in combat. I missed him greatly while he was away. I thought of his jokes, our secret chats about man stuff, our basketball games, motorcycle rides, family dinners he prepared and so many other special moments. I hated the idea that my dad could be killed, yet neglected to realize that he was serving for the freedom of our family as well as others. I developed a crooked eye towards the military. I had to pray and learn to trust in the Lord because my dad's life was in His hands. Thankfully, the Lord allowed for my father to live and return home each time. I can't imagine the horrors he has seen, or the psychological effect multiple wars have had on his mind. I do know that he is firmly rooted in Christ and would gladly lay down his life if it meant keeping his family safe. I appreciate him very much. My dad may have come home but I realize that so many soldiers, often too young, will not be returning home. 
I truly believe that God will honor these brave warriors for their acts of selflessness when the time comes. I do not believe that their deaths were in vain. Many things concern me about war so I often find myself questioning those overseeing these military operations. I am tired of the caskets being flown home and seeing pictures of the young men and women who left their families behind. Many of you are tired of the seemingly endless wars also. I wonder sometimes if these men are being sent to fight for just causes and at times I do not think so. I sometimes think that they died because of the greed of evil men like George W. Bush. I know that war is inevitable on this earth. Men of God fought many battles and God allowed them to be victorious when they obeyed the Lord. Our God is a God of war and He wages war with his enemies (the wicked).

And there was a war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. Revelations 12:7

And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; Hebrews 11:32

This life will not be without bloodshed, but I don't want a single drop of our troops blood to have been shed in vain. If they are going to fight, I pray that they are fighting real threats; not threats fabricated so that wicked men can gain the resources of other nations (such as oil reserves and profits). I pray that those men responsible for ordering our troops here or there, would understand that these are real human lives involved, not just numbers on a statistics chart. I can only hope that they would never command our armies into deadly battles for selfish gain or hidden agendas. Our troops are real men and women with families, friends, and lives outside of the brutality of war. Still I would be naive to believe that our troops have always fought in wars that were of righteous origin. This is to no fault of their own, for they simply carry out the orders they are given. It is often wicked ones in high places who determine why the wars are fought. I know that the wars are out of my control and the men making the decisions out of my reach. However, I can pray for our troops in order that I might have a say so in the outcome of their lives. That is the least I can do.
You might say that no one forced our servicemen to join the military. True enough, yet without their service, sacrifice, and loyalty to their country, many of us would experience the horrors of life that others face daily in various countries. Our country has been built on the blood of our fallen who gave everything for freedom. I don't always understand why they fight, or why they die. I just know that because of them we can enjoy many liberties and freedoms that would otherwise be non-existent. Thank God for those willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and face evil courageously on behalf of their country.

 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

If you know someone who has been affected with a loss, or if you have lost a family member or friend due to war, I am truly sorry for your loss. Lets continue to honor our men and women in service and those who are fallen because they are giving their all for you and I. If you are in the military currently, I want to say thank you for your service. I pray that God will shield you from harm and bless you for serving your country. My country is far from perfect (what country is without flaws?) but when I look at the conditions in which others live in some places, I can truly say that I am proud to live in my country. Please stay encouraged and continue to trust in God as you are dealing with the difficulty of loved ones away in the military. As always, Truth is freedom, Knowledge is power.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled. ~Horace

Followers