Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Love Part 2


So, today I feel compelled to continue on the subject of love, which was the main message behind my previous post. The Word of God covers a lot of different topics but focuses heavily on love. I spoke about love, or rather lack of love in my post titled "Good News," because I felt that the drastically declining state of our world was  driven by lack of love. If there is one thing this world could use more of it is love. Right now there is more hatred than anything else, evidenced by the selfish rich (who leave to poor to starve), the numerous wars between nations (I call murder for profit), the ongoing racism (which Obama's election only helped to fuel), and the list goes on...Sadly enough, even though the cure for all this is easily within reach, so few of even know where to find the answer. If we all lived by God's commandments and His Word we would see majority of the problems we face disintegrate. But, we don't love God so we do not keep his commandments. Look at different things that would be solved simply by obeying. War involves murder right? Well that's commandment number 6 (as stated in the book of Exodus Chapter 20). We are not supposed to steal right? Commandment number 8 says we shall not steal. That means not stealing no matter how big or small or what it is that you're stealing. Surely the rich can take partial responsibility in the stealing that goes on right? If they gave out the abundance that they have to those who are in need, instead of hoarding more for themselves, don't you think there would be at least some decline in stealing? Oh and what about commandment number 1 which states "You shall have no other Gods before me?" Well don't you think the millions who serve and worship entertainers/celebrities are in violation of this? We love our entertainment but not God. Some people are so convinced that Beyonce is without question a flawless and well meaning person, that you couldn't convince them otherwise even with a gun to their heads. To them she is their god. They worship her. And while they continue to suffer in poverty she steadily to rake in excess of 80 million dollars annually off of her worshippers concert tickets. And to think these people are so brainwashed as to believe that she cares for them. Wake up! Love people! If there was love we could eradicate all of these issues. Love for God is as simple as this, obey his commandments. Yes, its actually that simple. Surely, if we loved God we would love one another right? Let's take a look at a few scriptural references.
1st John 4:8 "He who does not love does not know God, For God is love."
Romans 12:10-11 "Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another, not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
Romans 13:8 "Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law."
John 14:15 "If you love Me, Keep My commandments."
Deuteronomy 6:5 "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength."
Psalms 145:20 The Lord preserves all who love Him, But all the wicked He will destroy."
1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment."
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (Scriptures from NKJV)

Those are only a few scriptures that cover the topic of love. Clearly we can see that this is of great importance to God. I have tried recently to meditate on these scriptures and put them into practice. Inspired by a simple Sunday morning question from the preacher and an urging from the Holy Spirit, I have recently began asking complete strangers (male and female unbiased towards race or age) "has someone told you that they love you today?" If they respond "no" (which is more often than not) then I reply "well I love you, I do." You should see the way their faces light up with joy at the thought that they are loved. It is an amazing spectacle to behold. Who am I but an ordinary man? I simply have compassion for others because I know they face the same cruel obstacles in the world that I do every day. So often I find that people are suffering from lack of love. I don't have much to give, but I give what I can. A simple "I love you" can change someones perspective, alter their mood, and lift a broken spirit. I make it a goal to do this every time I leave my home. To touch someones life with a few heartfelt words. I don't get anything in return, nor do I want anything. My joy comes from knowing that I have obeyed the commandments of God to love others, to be kind, and to reach out to those hurting. I urge you, my friend, to practice love like you never have before. You never know just the impact you might have in this world. As always Truth is Freedom, Knowledge is Power!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled. ~Horace

Followers